Make your own shakable maracas to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! Using your imagination by creating colorful and festive maracas to enjoy with your children at daycare or preschool.
What you'll need:
- 2 Styrofoam or paper cups
- Tan, red and white acrylic paint
- Decorative accents such as pom-poms and buttons
- Hot glue gun
- Dried beans
How to make:
- Paint cups with tan paint and set aside to dry.
- Decorate cups by painting on swirling or curvy lines.
- Place several dried beans into one of the cups.
- Put a layer of hot glue onto the rim of the cup with the beans in it before quickly placing the other cup on top of it, lining up the rims of both cups. Allow to dry completely.
- Finish any decorating you would like, such as adding pom-poms around the center (to hide the glue line). We also used mini pom-poms to dot the peaks of the zig-zags.
- Once your glue is completely dry, shake your maraca!
- Smaller children may enjoy using stickers instead of trying to add pom-poms and buttons.
- If you don't have any dried beans, use rice or pennies instead.
- Use whatever colors you like to make this project your own!