Making fresh foccacia with children at preschool, daycare encourages many things. For example, children learn basic math skills; on measuring the right amount. Great use of fine motor skills to pour and scoop; sensory as they mix the ingrediants. It encourages great life skills where children get the opportunity to participate in an activity and see the end result by tasting it. This activity is very easy and a great activity for children to work together as a team.
- 1 cups tepid water (90 degrees)
- 1 package yeast
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups plus 1/4 cup bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Approx 1/4 cup olive oil
- Garlic, rosemary to taste
- Kosher salt to taste
- In a large bowl, mix water, yeast, and sugar.
- Stir in oils and salt.
- Add 2 1/2 cups + 1/4 cup flour, mixing well til spongy.
- Add enough remaining flour to make stiff dough.
- Turn onto floured surface and knead until elastic.
- Cover with bowl and let rise til doubled.
- Spread on cookie sheets using your fingers.
- Mix crushed garlic with olive oil; brush over bread.
- Sprinkle w/ dried rosemary and kosher salt
- Bake at 375 for 1/2 hour.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- NOTE: You can also slice squares in half for sandwiches or simply for dipping