Looking for a fun project to do with your children for the holidays? This activity can be made at home, preschool, daycare or even at a social gathering! This is a fun, team building activity that encourages children to work together. Great fine motor activity and children are able to use there imagination when it comes to creating these yummy "Cake Balls"!
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 1 (16 ounce) container prepared chocolate frosting
- 1 (3 ounce) bar chocolate flavored confectioners coating or almond bark
- Prepare the cake mix according to package directions using any of the recommended pan sizes. When cake is done, let cool down about 3 hours. Then crumble into a large bowl, and stir in the frosting until well blended. (Using a kitchen aid or hand mixer is faster and easier!)
- Melt chocolate coating in a glass bowl in the microwave, or in a metal bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Use a melon baller or small scoop to form balls of the chocolate cake mixture. Dip the balls in chocolate using a toothpick or fork to hold them. Place on waxed paper to set. While wet-remember to sprinkle with sprinkles.
Devil's food cake, fudge icing, dark chocolate flavor coating. (Spike frosting with 2-3 tablespoons liqueurs such as Chambord [raspberry] or Grand Marnier [orange] for extra flavor, and-or add raspberry, orange, hazelnut, etc., flavored oil to candy coating.)
Strawberry cake, cream cheese frosting, chocolate coating or vanilla pink-tinted coating
White cake, white frosting, red- or pink-tinted coating
Red velvet cake, cream cheese frosting, chocolate coating
Lemon cake, lemon frosting, vanilla coating tinted red or pink
White cake and frosting with multicolored sprinkles, pastel-tinted vanilla coating